Saturday, July 4, 2009

Time to Say Goodbye: Pavel Kubina

I’ll admit it, when Pavel Kubina first came to the Leafs, I didn’t like him one bit. He seemed over priced,underperforming and he came from the Lightning, which I had a major grudge against for some reason for a while.However, after a season or two, he grew on me. ‘Twas a sneaky growth, not unlike a hobobeard /hobmop combination. I don’t know what it was about Kubina that swayed me--maybe it was his play getting better, maybe itwas the height, the Czechness, or the hobobeard.

Maybe it was his selfless spirit, which lead him to break so many sticks so that workers in stick factories would have more secure jobs and take dumb penalties from time to time just to keep refs awake. Part of me wonders if the stick breaking and dumb penalties weren’t part of some odd mental tic of his; a fear that if he didn’t do a small bad thing, someone would leave the ice on a stretcher or something.

What I learned from Pavel Kubina:
Czechs are damn sexy. Hobobeards can only be worn by those who can handle them.

Great accomplishments in WWoLD:
Kept the backyard barbecue at McCabe’s interesting...introduced us to the plot hole device...drove a tank with strippers in it...talked about his home town (and maybe has a relative who “fails at life”)...consumed a lot of vodka and vicodin...survived a night out with Sundin, McCabe, Tucker, and Kaberle--even the lesbian Sens bar...tried to be“best buddies” with Kaberle...showed us a softer side when Kaberle got into tequila...guested on the short lived“Antro and Poni awesome Show”...gave us all really good ideas for Halloween costumes...


So Pavel, have one last palacinky at Prague Fine Food Emporium for me before you get crunk in Hotlanta.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

PAVEL WILL BE MISSED. so will tomas...

Loser Domi said...

First I lose ruskie-on-ruskie manlove. Now I lose my Czechmates.

le siiiigh.....

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online